Simply-cooked meat dishes are extremely common in the Netherlands, and they are typically accompanied by rich, flavorful gravies. The traditional method of roasting a chicken in the Netherlands is to brown it in a heavy casserole dish and simmer it slowly until tender.
Recipe Servings: 4
- Rub chicken with salt and pepper.
- Melt butter in a heavy casserole dish over medium heat. Add chicken and brown thoroughly.
- Pour a little water in the pan and cover.
- Cook over very low heat, adding small amounts of water as necessary to keep from sticking, until chicken is thoroughly tender, about an hour.
- Remove chicken from pan.
- Add the flour to the pan juices and sauté for a few minutes to begin making gravy.
- Gradually add the milk, stirring constantly. Simmer until slightly thickened. Add a little more flour, milk, or water to produce desired consistency.
- Serve chicken hot with gravy on the side.
Recipe introduction and directions © Copyright 2016-2020 World Trade Press. All rights reserved.